Single-Player Pac-man clone
Designer & Gameplay Programmer
Made in Unity, coded in C#
3 day solo project
We were handed an assignment to make a clone of the crowd favorite Pac-Man, with a twist of our liking. Smack-Man was the result.
- I decided first that I would have the magic pills make you go into withdrawal, greatly reducing your speed. The more pills you take, the faster withdrawal hits.
- Then, I would have the ghosts clone themselves from time to time.
- Then, I wanted to make a rich visual experience so I turned it into a sort of lab to make powerful player feedback.
- The first part was to make the map rotate and zoom with the beat, but keeping the controls to the initial orientation, which means that when the map is upside-down, your controls are reversed
- Then, I applied bloom and movement blur to the action of getting magic pills, as well as adding a visual effect for the hangover
- Finally, I found that the players needed some sort of bearing when the map was flipped, so I added the score and some flavor text that rotate with the map, indicating which way is up
This was a project where I wanted to learn about rich visual feedback, so that was the bulk of my work here:
- Per-tile movement
- Standard Assets Camera Effects
- Tweening Animations, carefully synced with the beat